Welcome to The Latter-day Saint Organist's Resource Blog

The purpose of this blog is to help pianists learn to become true organists. Many individuals believe that if you play the piano you can play the organ, but the instruments differ greatly. While this blog is specifically geared towards members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, much of the information shared can be utilized by all. I hope that the information I share here will help you become an effective organist in your ward, stake, or other congregation.

Feel free to browse and search this blog. It was started in January 2010 and while new posts aren't added very often, this blog contains a wealth of information and is a wonderful resource for all organists. If you're a new reader, you can find the first lesson here: Before We Begin: Acquiring the Essentials. Also, please "like" the corresponding facebook page, which is updated more often. A link is provided on the right sidebar, or you can click here.

Thanks for visiting!

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Sunday Song: God of Our Fathers

Before we get to today's Sunday Song, I just wanted to take a moment to say how much I enjoyed the BYU Organ Workshop this week. It is truly a life-changing experience that I look forward to each year.

Normally I don't ask for comments, but if you could take a moment today to tell me what you enjoyed about the workshop if you're ever attended, or to share why you did not attend, I would really appreciate it.


Attendance was down this year, and I'd like to use this blog to help see what can be done to increase attendance in the future.

Now on to today's Sunday Song. This is Ty Thompson, playing his own arrangement/improvisation on the Pipe Organ at the United States Naval Academy. This console is the Worlds Largest Drawknob console.

6 comments:

  1. I didn't attend this year because I had Girls' Camp the same week and my mom, who usually goes with me, watched my kids. I was so bummed! I love learning new things on the organ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was actually here in Utah this year and wanted to attend for the first time, but couldn't afford to. I did go to the free lecture at the beginning of the week with my sister! I would like to attend some day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so so so jealous when you reminded me of what I was missing. I went last year, and it was amazing, but this year I was breastfeeding, so I couldn't be gone all day. Plus, now that I have two kids, I feel bad asking people to watch them for a whole week. I might not get to go again until one of them is old enough to babysit. Sad. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. The country is in the mist of an economic recession/depression. People have lost their jobs and their homes. It is logical that church organ players are also affected. I know because I am one of them. I would have been there if I could have been able to afford it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I live in Canada and the logistics of leaving family and getting there have made it too difficult. It's definitely something I would like to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All my money is being saved to go on a mission at the moment, I couldn't afford to go. I can definitely say I drooled over all your notes on facebook though. I'm looking forward to possible blog posts about them.

    ReplyDelete